Thursday, March 20, 2008

His Struggle


Surprisingly enough, there is a class that I am actually enjoying in school right now; Holocaust. Automatically you think Hitler and the massacre of the jews, if this is the case then you are gravely mistaken. One of my pet peeves is when people are so close minded that they miss the things right in front of them. In turn, my lot in life has been to be as open minded as I can. Now back to the class, it's not entirely about the actual Holocaust, to begin with we learned what genocide was and how many massacres there were before the term genocide was used and made a crime. Then we got into all the other genocides (including Darfur), and the motives of these "masterminds".

Next we got into what I was really curious about, the life of Adolf Hitler...before he was dictator. I am sure some of you have heard that Hitler was some what of an artist and actually sold some of his paintings. He dropped out of high school at 16 and moved to Vienna at the age of 18 and lived on the streets and in shelters for the next five years. This is also where he began to create his ideals of a "pure" Germany. Oh and by the way Hitler was actually Austrian but he felt that the Germans were the elite race, by all means. Now when he began his 10 year movement into power, Hitler wanted to purge the country of ALL impure Germans (not just the jews who were persecuted a thousand years before Hitler by none other than the christians!). He actually began killing other, somewhat tainted Germans if you will, first. At the time, there was the Red Scare or fear of the communists, so Hitler took this opportunity to rise to power by ridding the country of communist threat, a savior in the country's eyes. Another fact some of us look over is that Adolf Hitler came to power completely legally! Brilliant I say.

Hitler was also a great public speaker, we listened to one of his speeches and you did not have to know what he was saying to feel his emotion and deep, deep concern of his country. I found it quite easy to see how people could have supported him, I probably would have too, that is until they find out I am part dutch and kill me. Anyways I am not saying that the Holocaust was morally right in any way, it is actually quite disturbing but I'm just so curious. My point is that Adolf Hitler was brilliant, he won the support of a whole country in just ten years!

*I bet you didn't know that his original last name was Schiecklegruber, his father changed it a few years before he was born. All Hail Schiecklegruber!

2 comments:

MemphisKell said...

You're right. Adolph Hitler was a powerful speaker. He had charisma, and he knew how to hook into people's emotions and needs.

Not to compare you to Hitler or anything, but the passion in your speech for my class was palpable.

You rock! And I'm glad you like the Holocaust class. I get frustrated when I only hear kids complain about learning. It's great to discover new things.

I remember watching Mrs. Brozovic give a presentation about her class a few years back. I was sitting there thinking that I never knew how precisely the Nazis categorized people: Jews, Poles, Homosexuals, etc. It was exciting.

lizayouloveit said...

I take this class with you!!!!!! It is really interesting just some kids in it annoy me, I know you know who I'm talking about. But I loved this post! =]